The name comes from their predilection for the sugary sap or gum of the eucalyptus tree.
Caring for your sugar gliders – Sugar gliders socialize between themselves, usually living in small household groups. So, if you’re considering one for a pet, consider greater than one.
They get lonely on their own – so lonely, in fact, that it can kill them. One warning, however: Neuter the male on your institution – or you’ll have a much bigger family than you’d deliberate on.
About the dimensions of large hamsters, sugar gliders (Petaurus breviceps) are nocturnal, tree-dwelling marsupials that originate in Australia, New Guinea and Indonesia.
Facts About Sugar Glider
Sugar gliders weigh wherever from 3.3 ounces (93 grams) to 5.5 oz (160 grams) depending on their gender and measure up to 8.5 inches long. They are chiefly grey with black stripes, and a lighter underside. Considering the fact that they are nocturnal animals, they’ve huge eyes for improved night vision.
Cages should measure a minimum of 20 inches via 20 inches by 30 inches; large, upright commercial birdcages often paintings well.
To care for your sugar glider, you’ll also need nesting boxes for the gliders to sleep in in the course of the day. You may use wooden chicken nest boxes, small cardboard boxes, plastic hamster residences or fabric pouches slit in the front and anchored to the side of a cage.
Bedding is optional; it can be made of plain shredded paper or aspen wooden shavings (note that cedar shavings may well be toxic). Otherwise, location a sock or fabric within the nest.
Clean the nest packing containers at least two times a week; clean out the cage daily and disinfect it weekly. All fixtures should be blanketed during this cleaning.
Cared for properly, those gray and black striped creatures have long lives: up to 14 years in some cases. Because weight loss plan is the most consideration in retaining them healthy, here are some tried and genuine menus:
Leadbeater’s Blend Diet
50% Leadbeater’s Blend (see recipe below)
50% Insectivore/Carnivore Diets (Suppliers are: Reliable Protein Products (760-321-7533), Mazuri company (314-768-4592) and Zupreem (800-345-4767).
- 5 grams high-protein child cereal
- 1 teaspoon vitamin/mineral supplement. To illustrate Vionate, Reptivite, Rep-Cal (phosphorous free).Blend well and refrigerate until needed.
- 50 ml of hot water
- 50 ml of honey
- 1 shelled hardboiled egg
- (Chicago Zoological Park Diet)
- 1 teaspoon each: apple, carrot, sweet potato, banana, leaf lettuce
- 1 dozen meal worms which have been safely fed.Taronga Zoo Diet
- 3 grams each: apple, banana, corn, grapes, kiwi, sweet potato, orange, pear, melon.
- ½ hardboiled egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of Nebraska pussycat food plan (Zupreem or Mazuri are also acceptable)
- 1.5 grams – Top class dog food
- 1 teaspoon fly pupae
- 2 teaspoons Leadbeater’s Blend (see above recipe)